Tuesday 18 March 2014

Studio Tuesday #5 - Anna London

This week’s Studio Tuesday features Anna London, originally from California, Anna recently relocated to Berlin, Germany. Her roots are evident in her sunny, cheerful patterns and I can't wait to see how her new surroundings will influence her future work. Anna predominantly works in Illustrator and her work is clean and graphic, yet doesn't lose its hand drawn quality. Her motifs are elegantly simple and her patterns are beautifully balanced. I'd love to have a toiletries bag with her designs on it. Read on to find out more about Anna...



Name/Company or Studio name: Anna London
Location: Berlin, Germany. I just moved here this month!

Where and how did you start your surface pattern design journey?
I was always interested in art and design growing up. I became interested in industrial design and graphic design in high school. After doing more research I discovered the field of pattern and surface design and realized that it was the perfect mix of art and design! I love to work with my hands and but I also love the practical side of design. 

How do you approach a project/piece of work or collection? 
I’m always sketching and painting as much as I can. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want but more often I just doodle. I scan my drawings and put them into Illustrator. Once I’ve played with them a little in Illustrator, I can tell which sketches will work and which won’t, and I go from there. Sometimes sketches that I had no intention of using end up becoming my favorite patterns. When I first started creating patterns I would go about it without a plan. I made a lot of single prints that way, but now I’m starting to focus on designing collections of patterns that are more cohesive. It’s not the easiest thing for me, but I’m realizing the importance of doing a little planning before I start sketching.


Favourite pencil/pen?
I love to switch it up, but a couple of my favorites right now are Staedtler Permanent Lumocolors and Fineliners.

Sketchbook or loose leaf?
Spiral bound sketchbook. I like to keep it all together and the spiral bind makes it easy to scan.



How do you keep yourself on track/organised when working on a project?
Luckily I’m pretty motivated and passionate about what I do so it’s easy for me to spend hours working on a project. I also make a LOT of lists, and I love to check things off once I’m done. When I get sick of staring at a screen or when a pattern is frustrating me, I get up and work on something else or take a walk. I think it’s important to know when it’s okay to stop, because fresh eyes can really help you figure out what you need to do next.

What are your creature comforts in your studio/workspace?
Nothing too specific. I like a nice comfy chair and a cup of tea.



Music, radio, stories or silence?
Music or movies. I don’t focus on them, so it needs to be a movie I’ve already seen but I like the background noise.

Night owl or early bird?
I do my best work in the morning.

Illustrator or Photoshop?
I LOVE Illustrator. Photoshop definitely has it’s place, but I primarily work in Illustrator.



What size art board do you design repeats on?
19 inches by 13 inches. I started creating designs for a company as a freelance designer and that was the art board they required so I’ve just stuck with it since then.

Design heroes?
Julia Rothman, Leah Duncan, Elizabeth Olwen, Maria Montiel of CayenaBlanca, Heather Moore of Skinny LaMinx, and so so many more.

Dream clients or design goals?
My dream job is to design a line of fabrics. There are so many great companies that I admire, but a few of my favorites are Art Gallery Fabrics, Cloud 9, Riley Blake. I’d also love to see my designs on home decor products or stationery. There are so many possibilities out there!



Dream design destination for inspiration?
Berlin was a dream destination and I feel incredibly lucky that I live here now. I hope to travel a lot while I’m here in Europe and have such easy access to other amazing places. Greece is high on my list right now. I’d also love to travel around Sweden. I spent two months studying there while I was in college but I didn’t travel very much. I’d love to see more of the country because I’ve been really inspired by Scandinavian design.

And what are you working on at the moment?
I’m designing some patterns on a consignment basis for Wendy Ford Design Studio. I’m also focusing on creating new work for my website, but this is a constant process. And I’m looking for a new job in Berlin!



Any tips or advice you want to share with us?
Make as many connections as you can! I started e-mailing people in the design world that I admired, asking them about how they got started and if they minded sharing advice with me. I used to be shy about reaching out to people and thought they wouldn’t be interested in talking to me, but I’ve been constantly amazed by how kind people are. I also put a lot of effort into creating a social media presence and I’ve come into contact with so many wonderful people that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment