Tuesday 6 May 2014

Studio Tuesday #10 Jilly P

Greetings Pattern Addicts!

Hope you all had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend. 

I've got a delicious helping of pattern goodness to share with you today from the fabulous Jilly P. Just like Niamh Fitzsimons last week, Jillian is inspired by Japanese illustration and Tokyo is her dream design destination. I first came across her work in the first Print & Pattern book and instantly fell in love with it. It's immediately clear when looking at her work that she is really good at working with Illustrator! I've been learning how to make brushes for Ai recently and I was reminded of this when I saw all the lovely textures and versatile mark making in her work.

I hope you will enjoy finding out more about Jillian and her work. I know she was very busy in the run up to Surtex but still found time to contribute this feature to my blog and I really appreciate her taking the time to take part. If you would like to feature, please do get in touch!

Thanks,
Frankie x



Name/Company or Studio name:  Jilly P Studio
Location: Dorchester, UK

Where and how did you start your surface pattern design journey?
My first job was working as a pattern designer for a kidswear forecasting company. I was studying Fashion Design at the time, and needed some work experience. I loved it so much I stayed on there while I continued my studies.

How do you approach a project/piece of work or collection? 
I like to have a really good read through the brief before I do anything. Then I compile a research folder, with ideas and things that inspire me, or I'll make a pinterest board. Once I'm happy with that, I spend time sketching and doodling ideas. Some projects come together quickly, whilst others take a bit more time and thought!

Favourite pencil/pen?
Pen.

Sketchbook or loose leaf?
Bit of both- but mostly loose leaf



How do you keep yourself on track/organised when working on a project?
I always keep a diary with deadlines for different stages of each project. I hate rushing things so I like to be organised and have plenty of time!

What are your creature comforts in your studio/workspace?
I always have a cup of tea (green or english breakfast), my radio playing, my dog Bertie near by and a candle burning (though not near the dog! haha!)- if I need to relax the stresses of a deadline looming.

Music, radio, stories or silence?
Radio- 6music..

Night owl or early bird?
Early bird

Illustrator or Photoshop?
Both but mainly Illustrator

What size art board do you design repeats on?
A4 or A3


Design heroes?
So many- Shinzi Katoh, Orla Kiely, Charley Harper & a long list of Japanese illustrators

Dream clients or design goals?
I'd love to design a homeware range for kids and extend my own stationery range.
It would be lovely to design for Ikea one day.

Dream design destination for inspiration?
Tokyo still remains top of my list, it's so inspiring and I'd love to visit Seoul next.

And what are you working on at the moment?
I'm designing kids clothing graphics and also compiling new work for Surtex in May.

Any tips or advice you want to share with us?
Keep working hard on developing your own style- I see a lot of people copying other artists work. It's fine to be inspired by what someone else is doing but be sure to do make your work yours and not a version of someone else's. 


5 comments:

  1. Lovely feature Frankie, I love Jill's work!
    Rosie Martinez-Dekker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosie - your work is beautiful too! And your blog. xxx

      Delete
  2. What a fun read! I stumbled upon your blog and am keeping it in my list of feeds to follow. Thanks for sharing this interview. Jillian is a wonderful artist :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. She is on of my favourites. Do you design? x

      Delete
  3. Thanks guys! I was so pleased to have Jillian on my blog. Her work is really special. Thanks so much for reading. I LOVE doing my blog xx

    ReplyDelete